First Lady Bags Second Honorary Doctorate Degree
In recognition of her contributions to humanitarian efforts in Sierra Leone and around the world, Her Excellency Dr. Fatima Maada Bio was awarded a second Honorary Doctorate Degree at the University of Sierra Leone, on April 14, 2023.
Her Excellency has numerous awards to her name not only in Sierra Leone but elsewhere in the world. Some of her awards include the following:
- Warrior Award at the International Women of Power Luncheon in California USA for her bravery and outstanding contribution towards women and girls in Sierra Leone.
- One of the Most Influential People of African Descent under 40 in New York, United States; under the United Nations.
- Best Supporting Actress for the movie MIRROR BOY.
- Best Actress Award in 2011 from the Black Ethnics, Fashion, and Film.
- Best Actress Award of the Year at the African Oscar in Washington DC 2013.
- Gathering of African Best (GAB) Awards for her exceptional contribution to promoting a positive image of Africans around the world.
- Winner of the 50 most influential Persons in Sierra Leone Since 2018, (four in a row).
- As a result of the aforementioned and other practical deliverables, the African Union (AU) on the 27th of May 2021 formally recognized our Honoree as the Champion for Sanitation and Hygiene and she now heads that division in the African Union. This is not an easy feat.
- In recognition of her dedication to educating and protecting our children, especially girls, our Honoree was in September 2021 honoured by the United Nations as the new Champion of the United Nations Education Plus Program alongside President Macky Sall of Senegal.
- In the same year, our Honoree was appointed to serve as a Member of the Advisory Board of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research.
- On the 7th, of November 2022, our Honoree became the 1st First Lady to address the United Nations General Assembly where she presented a resolution for a world day to commemorate the healing and prayer for RAPE VICTIMS all around the world and it was granted by 153 countries globally.
- This year Her Excellency introduced the Male Component of the Hands Off Our Girls Campaign where she allowed teenage boys to speak up freely about their concerns in the fight against rape and teenage pregnancy. The outcome of that engagement has now formed the base for her national campaign this year to involve boys not as bystanders but as one of the driving forces to the success of Hands Off Our Girls.
- Some weeks ago, Her Excellency was nominated to become a board member of the United Nations’ Zero Waste Global Campaign by the Secretary General of the United Nations alongside the Turkish First Lady.